top of page
  • Writer's pictureWRIL-FM

Bomb threat made toward Knox County School's G.R. Hampton Elementary

From Knox County Kentucky Public Schools and Barbourville Police Department -

The Knox County Public Schools received notification at 6:05 pm that a prisoner at the Knox County Detention Center had reported to jail employees that a friend had placed a bomb on the property of G.R. Hampton Elementary School.

Barbourville Police Chief Winston Tye states that Patrolman Adam Townsley and Clay Helton of the Barbourville Police Department responded to the Knox County Jail to make contact with Andrew Gallagher who stated that his significant other had a bomb placed in GR Hampton Elementary School to blow it up and make him mad.

Barbourville Police Department along with the Kentucky State Police bomb dog responded to the school and conducted search of the school and its premises and did not locate any devices. After clearing the school and finally contacting the male subject, who supposedly placed the bomb, he stated he was in Ohio and has not been in Barbourville in over two years. The male also stated that he had not done, nor would he do anything, to hurt anyone.

Upon further investigation 31 year old Andrew Gallagher, of Rockholds, was arrested and charged with Terroristic Threatening - 2nd degree and Falsely reporting an incident. He was lodged in the Knox County Detention Center.

Knox County schools stated that at 8:00 pm the Kentucky State Police gave the school system the “all clear”.

The school goes on to state that: "The safety of our students and staff is our number one priority and we will continue to be vigilant and work with local law enforcement. Making a threat on a public school, regardless of the person’s age or threat type, can have serious legal and financial consequences for the perpetrator. Two school resource officers will be present at G.R. Hampton on Tuesday morning to ensure a safe learning environment for our students and staff."

Patrolman Adam Townsley and Clay Helton are continuing the investigation. Chief Winston Tye, Kentucky State Police, and Knox County Sheriff Mike Smith assisted at the scene.

710 views0 comments


bottom of page