top of page
  • Writer's pictureWRIL-FM

After three days of testimony, trial for Assistant Chief of Cumberland Ky. continued

From WTVQ -

Kenny Ray Raleigh - LCCC

It’ll be two more weeks before Cumberland Assistant Police Chief Kenny Raleigh knows his fate.

Following three days of testimony and evidence last week, U.S. District Judge Claria Horn Bloom continued Kenny Ray Raleigh’s trial on federal civil right s violations because of “circumstances beyond the court’s control.” The continuance came after Bloom had denied Raleigh’s motion for a mistrial in the case, according to court records.

The case had been scheduled for three days and Friday, two of the 14 jurors were dismissed as alternates, according to court records.

The jury was picked Wednesday and heard testimony into Friday. Some of the evidence included pictures of the injuries suffered by Steven Cody Simpson allegedly after being beaten by Raleigh as Simpson lay on the ground handcuffed outside 1603 Liquors on March 31, 2019.

Pictures and video of the scene and inside the store, before and after officers arrived, a time card for Cumberland Police Officer Zachary Smith, who Raleigh is accused of trying to coerce into making false statements, training records and other items are listed among the evidence for the trial.

In addition to violating Simpson’s civil rights, Raleigh is charged with the coercion.

As charged in the indictment, the first count carries up to 10 years in prison and the second carries as much as 20 years, prosecutors said.

The continuance was granted because Raleigh’s attorney, David Hoskins, of Corbin, is scheduled to be in five-day murder trial in Bell County Circuit Court for Jonathan Walker, who has been in jail more than three years awaiting his day in court.

U.S. District Judge Claria Horn Boom said the continuance was proper to give Hoskins additional time to prepare but didn’t violate speedy trial standards because the extension amounted to less than two weeks. The case already was continued once from Aug. 25, and the trial is expected to take three days.

Raleigh, who has been free on bond since June, was allowed to remain out of jail on the same conditions and restrictions imposed earlier.

If convicted on both counts, Raleigh, who has been on home confinement since he was released on bond in late June following his indictment on charges of unreasonable force by a police officer and obstruction of justice, faces up to 30 years in prison.


In January of this year were reported on Kenny Ray Raleigh when Chief Deputy Jailer Derrick Moore at Harlan County Detention Center stated that around 3:10pm on Thursday, January 9, 2020 that he called Kentucky State Police Post 10 to make a report. It was in regard to Raleigh appearing “under the influence and smelled of alcohol.” Moore goes on to tell us that the staff was worried about Raleigh putting lives in danger driving back to the city of Cumberland.

Raleigh left the detention center at approximately 3:25pm which is around the time that schools were dismissing for the day.

Kentucky State Trooper Shane Jacobs states that at the traffic stop, Raleigh was administered a breathalyzer test and he blew under legal limit of .08 bac. Trooper Jacobs states that Raleigh was also given standard field sobriety tests which he passed.

We do know that Raleigh was not permitted to drive the vehicle back to the city and that a Cumberland staff member came to the scene and picked him and the vehicle up for the drive back.

While no arrest took place, WRIL has learned that Kenny Ray Raleigh was placed on a two week suspension by Mayor Raleigh - according to the mayor.

***Mayor Raleigh contacted WRIL, disputed our coverage, and took issue with our statement in regard to the suspension. The mayor stated that HE had the sole power to suspend Kenny Ray not Chief of Police Williamson as we were initially told by the Chief.

2,889 views0 comments


bottom of page